Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Open Spaces Part 4 (Final Work)

After how many edits and posts (Click here to check them out! Part 1, Part 2, Part 3), I've finally gotten around finishing up this story book illustration! Woohoo!! With the help of other people's comments, here's what my final output looks like:

Spread 1

Spread 2

So main comments were the difficulty of reading because of the clutter in the background and the darkness of the whole thing. I came up with two resolutions: 1. make the text plain and straight, or 2. clean up the background. Well, as you can see, #2 won! Haha.

I really wanted to make this book fun, even if the story is kind of grim. And although I'd want to make the text simpler, I felt that the animation in the text more so emphasizes the art. Being a proud mama over the tiniest lines, I say YEY!! to seeing more of the details! Woot! Plus, the goal was to make this story fit for a children's book. So, the movements of the text and the shapes formed by the smoke and Lorena's "hair" (Do you see the shapes?) make the spreads pretty more interesting, if I do say so myself.

Finally finished with this project, I can't believe I could actually make something like this despite having used to softer illustrations and watercolor works. Now I can say I can take on cartoon-y illustration and bold sketches! Can't wait to work on more projects like this!

Hope you enjoyed:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment